The Power Down Challenge Competition has started! This competition is taking place between Penn’s eleven college houses and Sansom Place. To compete, students must pledge to Power Down over winter break to help the University conserve energy.
By pledging to participate in the Power Down Challenge, you can support the University’s Climate Action Plan goal of a 17% energy reduction by 2014 and help make Penn a greener campus.
To participate in the competition, students can pledge to turn off their lights, unplug their appliances, and shut their windows before leaving campus for winter break. Students can pledge online from Dec. 1st – Dec. 22nd, before leaving campus.
Pledge online at http://www.upenn.edu/sustainability/powerdown/students.html
There are two prize categories. These categories were chosen to give an equal opportunity to communities of all different sizes.
(1) The highest percentage of students that pledge to power down.
(2) The highest number of students that pledge to power down.
Historically, smaller communities have done better on achieving a higher percentage of participation, whereas larger ones often get a higher number of students.
1) Dessert Party: The winning houses will each receive a special dessert party catered by Bon Appetit
2) Custom T-Shirts: The first 75 students from the winning houses to attend the dessert party will receive a Power Down Challenge t-shirt
3) Smart Strips: Five lucky students from each winning house will also receive a smart strip for their dorm room. There will be a random selection during the dessert party.
This competition is brought to you by the Penn Green Campus Partnership. To sign up for the Green Campus Partnership bimonthly e-newsletter, The Red & Blue On College Green, visit http://www.upenn.edu/sustainability/news.html
For any additional questions, please contact:
Julian Goresko, Sustainability Student Outreach Associate University of Pennsylvania Facilities and Real Estate Services – email@example.com